22.9.11

Music for Minors




I have had a unique opportunity to explore elements of the Orff approach to music teaching, through teaching the Singing Rainbows pre-school program and Musical Jam for Year One and Two, both of which are influenced heavily by this philosophy. It is a new approach to teaching music for me. I always believed that if I had a child I would thrust an instrument in its hand as soon as humanly possible. But, when I did have my own child, I realised that greater benefit would be gained by having music as a constant in his life – we made sure there were lots of instruments around the house, the opportunity to experiment with sound and to listen to and play a variety of music. He, of course, lapped it up and seemed to have a really good ear. However, by about 4 he seemed to have lost all sense of rhythm... and pitch. Obviously, I was horrified. Then he became part of my Musical Jam class and my great experiment. It is a fantastic opportunity to watch his development, knowing everything I do about his past. 


I also teach the violin, in a formal more traditional way. Some of my students have had previous musical exposure and some have not. For the most part, the ones who have been banging on pots and drums driving their parent nuts, or the ones who are involved in church or cultural groups, or ones who have been involved in programs like Musical Jam, seem to be much further down the road from noise to music.
My sons proficiency has increased enormously since participating and collaborating in music making, so has his confidence and co-ordination. But the most notable thing is his new connection to the beat. He got his rhythm back! The other great benefit, the “group” aspect, means the kids start sharing their ideas and start to articulate themselves, musically. I know that when my boy starts more formal musical training, he has a great number of musical concepts already “instinctual” – or seeming so. This will leave him able to concentrate on the more “technical” aspects of music making and understanding, enabling him to progress much faster than he would have without these basic musical elements already in place.

Post by Meryl Main
Lewis Eady Music School Tutor

No comments:

Post a Comment