13.10.11

A Kiwi in Shanghai - Part 1

There are three major trade fairs for musical instruments each year. Namm (Anaheim), Frankfurt Musikmesse and the Shanghai Musikmesse. This year was the turn of Shanghai. They’re an amazing experience so why not share it with you all as it happens.

First off, Shanghai… what an incredible city. Incredibly busy, incredible buildings, ridiculous traffic, and yet very clean. I’ve sampled a very little shopping, from the Science and Technology Museum market with copy everythings, to the Superbrand Mall, with every conceivable shop, to Nanjing Road where Prada and fake Prada live side by side - and everything’s for sale. Try doing all three in 1 day and see how your feet feel.

Day one at the fair and a few highlights:
  • Finally meeting the guys from Farida guitars. I got to meet Mr. C. W. Tsai who has been involved with Farida for 40 years! Some cool stories about their guitars, but they’ll wait for another day.



  • AXL have some pretty cool looking new electrics, but my favourites were the Recording King wood body resonators, and their new RP-06 Parlour size guitars. I’m looking forward to getting these guitars through.
  • Hausheng had as many classroom percussion instruments fitted into as small a space as possible. They’re constantly coming up with new products. I’m looking forward to expanding our range of this product. Absolutely everything I saw was incredibly quality.
  • But hands down the best moment of the day was the Steinway stand. In particular the John Lennon Tribute Imagine piano. I figured it would be fitting to play ‘Imagine’ on it; it was slightly surreal. It made me smile when a couple of Chinese families came up to me and asked to have their picture taken with me playing the piano. I didn’t have the heart (or language) to tell them I wasn’t a performer, so just smiled along.

Until tomorrow…


Post by David Love

No comments:

Post a Comment